Social media platforms record and analyze almost every piece of data sent to them. They track who is using the platform, what device they used to get there, what searches they perform, and where they are located. As OSINT analysts and investigators, we cannot let our targets know that we are looking through their posts, images, and videos.
Sock puppets (sometimes called research accounts, false personas, and synthetic identities) provide that insulation for us to do our social media work and stay more anonymous. This course will teach you the art and science of sock puppet creation.
Please note that this course teaches techniques that may be illegal to use in some areas of the world. My OSINT Training insists that students learn and abide by all laws that may impact their OSINT work.
Key learning objectives:
- Understand what a sock puppet is, when and how to use them.
- Understand the value of a sock puppet in OSINT work.
At the end of the course, you will:
- Be able to explain what a sock puppet is and how it is used in OSINT work.
- Comprehend the fundamental processes for constructing a sock puppet.
- Create a plausible account with appropriate background data and avatar.
- Recognize and avoid the common mistakes and techniques that can compromise the integrity of a sock puppet creation.
Earn 1 CPE/CEU for completing this course.
Micah Hoffman and Griffin Glynn authored and teach the course.
This course consists of online videos accessible from mobile app and/or web browser. Lecture, demonstration, and hands-on exercises.
A course completion certificate is automatically provided to students finishing this course.
To successfully complete this course, you must have access to the internet and a modern web browser.
Related courses include Introduction to Social Media, People Searching, Facebook - How to search without an account, and TikTok - The Basics. Please visit the Course Tracks Page and navigate to the "Social Media Track 1" section for our growing list of social media OSINT courses.